Why is Pipework Cleaning Important?
Before we look into the actual cleaning process, it's important to understand why pipework cleaning is so crucial. Industrial pipes are often used for transporting materials such as water, oil, gas or waste products. Over time these substances can leave behind deposits that build up inside the pipe. This buildup can cause corrosion which may lead to leaks or even pipe bursts.
In industries such as food processing or pharmaceuticals where hygiene is paramount, any form of contamination could have serious consequences for product quality and safety. Regular cleaning helps maintain high hygiene standards and ensures compliance with industry regulations.
Methods Used in Pipework Cleaning
There are several methods used in industrial pipework cleaning depending on the type of pipe and the nature of the buildup. Here are some commonly used techniques:
- Mechanical cleaning: This involves using tools like brushes or scrapers to physically remove deposits from inside the pipe.
- Chemical cleaning: In this method, chemicals are used to dissolve or loosen deposits for easier removal.
- High-pressure water jetting: This involves using high-pressure water jets to blast away deposits from pipe walls.
- Pigging: This method uses devices known as 'pigs' that are pushed through the pipe using pressure differences to scrape away deposits. Ice Pigging is one of a few different types of pigging methods but is suitable for almost all pipework cleaning.
- Ultrasonic cleaning: This technique uses ultrasonic waves to create vibrations that dislodge deposits from pipe walls.
How to Clean Industrial Pipework
Here's a step-by-step guide on how to clean industrial pipes. Following this process and involving Nivalis at the start of this process will ensure you pick an appropriate cleaning method which effectively and safely cleans your pipework.
- Identify the type of buildup: Determine the type of buildup to understand which cleaning method is most suitable. Please speak to us at this stage so we can help you quickly decide if Ice Pigging is a suitable method for your pipework cleaning.
- Choose the right cleaning method: Based on the type of buildup, choose a cleaning method that will effectively remove it without damaging the pipework.
- Prepare for cleaning: Before starting the cleaning process, ensure all safety measures are in place. Our team of engineers will be able to advise you on any necessary precautions and preparation required before Ice Pigging is carried out. We can also help you with these preparations if required.
- Carry out cleaning: Carry out the chosen cleaning method - our team of highly trained and experienced engineers will carry out the Ice Pigging process for you, and, if required, train up your staff for future cleans. The team will ensure all deposits are thoroughly removed.
- Inspect and test: After cleaning, inspect the pipework to ensure all deposits have been removed. The Nivalis team will do this for you and will also carry out checks such as pressure tests to ensure there are no leaks.
- Dispose of waste properly: Any waste generated during the cleaning process should be disposed of properly according to local regulations.
Pipework cleaning is a crucial aspect of maintaining operational efficiency and safety in various industries. By understanding how to clean industrial pipework effectively, you can prevent equipment failure, maintain high hygiene standards and ensure compliance with industry regulations.
Regular maintenance and proper care can extend your pipework's lifespan and save you from costly repairs or replacements down the line. Get in touch with us now to see how Ice Pigging can support your pipework cleaning process.